CCSO confiscates drugs, guns and money following traffic stop

Published 2:19 am Thursday, February 10, 2022

The Crenshaw County Sheriff Office made a major gun and drug bust over the weekend.

In the late evening of Friday, February 4, Narcotics Investigator Pitts and Reserve Deputy Watson attempted to conduct a traffic stop on Shady Grove Road but the driver failed to pull over causing officers to pursue the suspect.

According to reports, the pursuit took officers into Pike County where the driver and their passenger began throwing things from the vehicle.

Email newsletter signup

The suspects eventually pulled over and both occupants were taken into custody without further incident.

Following a search of the vehicle, officers discovered one Draco 7.62 caliber firearm, two Glock 40 caliber firearms, marijuana and other drug paraphernalia, and ,360 in cash indicative of drug sales. (

Investigator Pitts and Deputy Watson were also able to recover several items that were thrown from the vehicle during the pursuit.

The driver and their passenger were charged with possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, carrying a pistol without a permit and tampering with/destroying physical evidence. The driver was also charged with attempting to elude.

The case is still under investigation and no further information regarding the incident has been released.

The day prior, Crenshaw County Sheriff Office Deputies Duncan and Wood, along with Alabama Game and Fish units responded to a trespassing and poaching call in an area of North Franklin Road.

When deputies made contact with the suspect’s vehicle the driver fled the scene, becoming stuck shortly afterward and later fleeing on foot.

Another suspect involved in the incident fled on a yellow ATV.

After conducting a traffic stop on an ATV crossing AL-29, Deputy Arrighi managed to identify the driver as one of the suspects.

The second suspect was later located by Game and Fish K-9 units.

The suspects were identified as Matthew Bond and Leigh Howard.

Leigh Howard was placed under arrest for criminal trespassing while Matthew Bond was released pending warrants from the property owner.